When starting something new, anxiety is an innate reaction when it comes to the feelings of what one might experience...
I'm a New VISTA (Volunteer In Service To America) via AmeriCorps, starting a NEW project that no VISTA has worked with before. So you can be sure that I was feeling very anxious....
When I first learned of CASA(Court Appointed Special Advocates) for Kids via AmeriCorps, I couldn't contain my excitement. Everything they do first of all is amazing. I mean, who can go wrong with a mission statement like, "serving the unmet needs of abused, abandoned and neglected children within the foster care system....." ? I felt it was a calling in a sense. My own mother was what you would consider an unwanted child. She was abused at a young age after losing her father to cancer. She experienced first hand the many horrors that many children within the foster care system experience daily.
So of course this was even more of a reason for me to take this project on...
Now, fast forward to meeting the people behind this beautiful organization. Barbara Polk, the brains and beauty behind this organization cannot be summed up into mere words for lack of being able to convey just how much of a positive influence this woman has contributed to her community. The same goes for all the CASA's and other volunteers that help to make this organization thrive. Laura Taylor, Janet Lincoln, Eileen Bond, to name a few... but these women and men give so much of their time, effort, and finances to this wonderful organization. And they are volunteers. They aren't here because they are paid to do it, but their here simply because they WANT to do it. They WANT to be here. That in itself is such a beautiful blessing.
So, my initial experience of this organization and the beautiful people behind it has been so rewarding and inspiring. I am only looking forward to all that is yet to come of my VISTA adventures....STAY TUNED ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment